The Roman-Catholic Church "St. Varvara" from Cavnic
Biserica de zid / Obiective turistice
Strada Eliberării 57, Cavnic 435300, Romania
Although its construction began in 1800, the "St. Varvara" church was completed only in 1812. Its decoration was carried out almost a century later, the painting of the interior walls dating from 1909. The edifice stands out through the 34 m high turret, but also by the fact that the altar and the pulpit were carved in massive salt. The patron saint of this church was not chosen by chance, St. Varvara being the protector of the miners, but also of prisoners, geologists and architects.